Monday, December 14, 2009

My Favorite Market that I still even dream about...and Other Beach Dreams


Back in 2004 for 18 months my son and I lived in Pacific Grove California, and it was an amazing experience. In Many ways it was the hardest time of my life and in other ways it was the greatest adventure.We lived in a dilapitated old Victorian Rooming House and we shared a room. I had a window over the little Corner Kitchen Sink. I could stand in the mornings and make Tea and smell the Ocean and taste the breeze.At nigh the Deer would come munch on the bushes and shrubs at the bottom of the stairs, and my basset Abby would look at them softly with her big brown eyes. (Abby had spent her early years on a farm,so we thought that maybe she viewed them as goats.) And at night the seals would bark down at the Beach mere blocks away -So Abby would yodel back to them. My son and I boogied boarded and got wet suits and explored the Tide Pools and located Sandwich shops. And we figured out whenever the Power went out due to Storms, which was often, that many little shops halfpriced their goods.

And we found the Pacific Grove Market, that was full of Wonders, British Teas and cookies, and fresh fruits and vegetables.And we became "Fun Doo" Experts dipping vegis and fruit and bagels in the warm gooey crockpot of cheese. And we made Noodles with all kinds of vegetables.And we read many books and newspapers blissfully. And the Library turned out to be a wonderful find,walking there to treasure hunt.....it is those Memories I wrap around me late at night when it is cold and snowing....It is why I still wear my Flip Flops in the house....all year...It is why I dream about the Market at night....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Someone made a great Sunset video....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Have dreamt about PG many times over the past month...I have no idea why....maybe I am homesick...anyways..all good memories...

3 comments:

D.K. Raed said...

Of course you are homesick. Who wouldn't be? The place is flat-out gorgeous! Reminds me a bit of Torrey Pines in San Diego.

Watching the ocean, sunset or sunrise, is very healing. I liked hearing the drumplayers and watching the surfers at sunset at Swami Beach in Encinitas.

You know you will get back there some day. That's why you are dreaming about it.

D.K. Raed said...

Just driving by the Cafe to wish the Enigma Family a Merry Christmas!

Labrys said...

I still miss Pacific Grove! I used to visit there to shop....doing things like buying a whole box of grapes and making raisins in the food dryer! We lived there, at Ft. Ord in 1983, last time...I also lived there when I attended DLI in Monterey. The Monterey Peninsula will always be like a fairy hill to me; time didn't seem to move there and I could never get enough of it.