Thursday, January 12, 2012

Reflections on Haiti 2 years since Quake...

"If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other."~~
Mother Teresa


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This school is the only completed school, it is a Middle School, for 750, it is completely rebuilt since the Quake, it is the Academy of Peace and Justice, rebuilt and funds raised by artists and the film community..... APJ worked with the St.Luke Organization to create this school.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
About the work of Artists for Peace and Justice...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
About the School that APJ built...

2011 New Wing Opening Ceremony from bryn mooser on Vimeo.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I want you to be concerned about your next door neighbor. Do you know your next door neighbor?"~~
Mother Teresa
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It's been 2 years since the devastating Quake in Haiti, so much destruction and so much death, and yet the word gave and came together after that quake, and it yet it is still on many levels broken, shattered, undone....250,000 lives lost and still over 500,000 homeless and living in rubble. It bothers me that all of us gave and sent money...yet I see children still in the camps, schools still not rebuilt, and children with no shoes walking by debris piles...It is the one place my heart still goes easily and I dream of it at night and can hear creole...The streets there are so familiar and I can't explain it , but I do think my future is tied to this place....It's odd how Creole and Thai, my heart and brain understand...The only two places that have tugged at my heart...my dreams...my soul...And the world in many ways has moved on, I watched the news this morn, and Haiti was not mentioned....and that is why there are still piles of rubble there....We are so good at "Moving On" that we are not good at "Showing Up and Seeing it Through"....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"If you can't feed a hundred people, then feed just one."~~
Mother Teresa
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This Eddie Vedder song ...about Ruins is what comes to mind about Haiti...not sure why...

No comments: